Rattle At Startup

OK, bike has new lock and full set of locks for the rest of the bike to match the keys.
What they were told by Triumph UK was to check valves and make every valve gap the same as possible.
Result is that its a lot quieter and vibration has got a lot less in the upper rev range, making it a nicer ride.

OK, bike has new lock and full set of locks for the rest of the bike to match the keys.
What they were told by Triumph UK was to check valves and make every valve gap the same as possible.
Result is that its a lot quieter and vibration has got a lot less in the upper rev range, making it a nicer ride.
Mmmm interesting....let me know how you go on.

Didn't know your bike had a vibration?

Never mentioned it, but it was the same with my t120. Around 4000 upwards, handlebars and seat, footrests very viby.
Now on the scrambler its just a bit at the bars which is acceptable.

Never mentioned it, but it was the same with my t120. Around 4000 upwards, handlebars and seat, footrests very viby.
Now on the scrambler its just a bit at the bars which is acceptable.
Wonder if that could have been the balance shafts slight out of adjustment.
Not very often I hit 4000rpm on mine....will pay attention when I get it out of mothballs.

I know nothing about balance shafts or how they are adjusted.

I know nothing about balance shafts or how they are adjusted.
Its very easy and all done by just removing 4 inspection plugs I think it is....over tight....get a whining sound....slack a rattly tapping....not like what I have.

But possible could vibrate.....but not sure on that.

Its what 2 dealers told me what was causing my tapping....the both chanted almost exactly the same words....as if they where chanting from a Triumph memo

Glad to hear this is working out!

Intrigued, where are these plugs situated?
Sorry for the delay....only got the bike out of the garage yesterday for some weeks so took a few pics of the location of the access hoes to adjust the balance shaft s meshing that you asked about.
On the left side its the small hex head type polished screw thats an adjuster.....its lock nut is down inside the oil filer bung....all the others are on the right side.

ON the Right the Small Hex head is the other adjuster....the round disc with to hex heads is its lock nut access hole once removed.

The tool I made....its to reach the locknut deep inside the oil filler hole....I wanted the tool all in one length....so extensions did not come apart inside the engine.

How is your tapping noise now you have had time to check.

Attachments

• 20230303_125451.jpg
    20230303_125451.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230303_125456.jpg
    20230303_125456.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230303_125501.jpg
    20230303_125501.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230303_125516.jpg
    20230303_125516.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230304_155408.jpg
    20230304_155408.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 3
It's a lot better now, only a little rattle if listening for it which I can except. I'm thinking that this area was the issue as there's no evidence that the valves were adjusted.
I was listening to a you tube which a guy had installed a set of zard silencers and I could hear his bike rattling away, and no regard or concern was shown, only his pipe noise. So perhaps some of us are alarmed at this weired noise and only a few raises concerns.
If the noise gets a little louder as time goes on is anyone's guess. I now have fitted the zard and a new fondness to the bike has been created.

Attachments

• IMG_20230303_143920.jpg
    IMG_20230303_143920.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 3
It's a lot better now, only a little rattle if listening for it which I can except. I'm thinking that this area was the issue as there's no evidence that the valves were adjusted.
I was listening to a you tube which a guy had installed a set of zard silencers and I could hear his bike rattling away, and no regard or concern was shown, only his pipe noise. So perhaps some of us are alarmed at this weired noise and only a few raises concerns.
If the noise gets a little louder as time goes on is anyone's guess. I now have fitted the zard and a new fondness to the bike has been created.
Ok glad your bike is sounding better...Im confused....think you said they had adjusted the valve clearance last time.....but are you now thinking they didn't....

So why do you think now your noise has diminished.

I agree....I do think its more common than reported due owner not listening or interested in listening.

They said they adjusted the valves but my gut feeling is the balance shafts. I need to double check the pictures you sent to see if there are marks on the blanking plugs.
The noise is a lot less, but there's just a faint tappet noise but a lot quieter.

They said they adjusted the valves but my gut feeling is the balance shafts. I need to double check the pictures you sent to see if there are marks on the blanking plugs.
The noise is a lot less, but there's just a faint tappet noise but a lot quieter.
Hard to imagine and marks they would make adjusting the valves....only thing on the motor they disturb is the rocker cover.

And some electrical connections.

But if its all good now who care....glad all came good.

I mean all the fittings on the balance shafts, not the Rocker box. This will indicate if they DID the shafts or not.

The only real way to know if something has been adjusted or not if to place alignment marks with a marker of some type and photograph. If the place said they adjusted, I wouldn’t second guess if you didn’t take any pictures. If it’s working better than that’s good.

Side note, when I’ve seen handling marks after a service, I usually get pissed. It means they were not very careful or professional. Bolts and screw heads shouldn’t be marred by adjustment.

Well I will take what they say as read.
It's a lot better than it was what ever they done so hats off to them. I was told that the mechanic that was looking at my machine had been trained on triumph for a lot of years.

Well I will take what they say as read.
It's a lot better than it was what ever they done so hats off to them. I was told that the mechanic that was looking at my machine had been trained on triumph for a lot of years.
When I reset my valves....it seemed better for a few days....thats all.

Hope your lasts longer than mine did.

When you said they trying to get all gaps equal.....thats what I did.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom