rodsridin

Local time
Yesterday, 21:58
First Name
Rod
My Ride
2007 Scrambler
Riding Since
Just looking for things to make my 2007 Scrambler more interesting when I ran across this convert to belt drive (Attached pics). Total cost with the tensioner is around USD1100. I can only think of one advantage to do something like this: no more chain lube mess. My next thought was: I can buy a whole bunch of chain for $1100.
Anybody out there have a compelling reason to make this switch?
I currently have 21000 miles on this chain and it still is great as are the sprockets.

Attachments

• Tensioner.jpeg
    Tensioner.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Belt Drive.jpeg
    Belt Drive.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 3
I've seen it done on a Bobber and the owner claims it smoothed out his ride considerably. There maybe an advantage as far as power transfer with the swingarm in motion since the spring in the tensioner reacts like an idler wheel to maintain proper belt tension (no chain slap).

I've seen it done on a Bobber and the owner claims it smoothed out his ride considerably. There maybe an advantage as far as power transfer with the swingarm in motion since the spring in the tensioner reacts like an idler wheel to maintain proper belt tension (no chain slap).
They offer the kit without the idler but I think that's the only thing that makes this better possibly than chain. I think I will be better off to spend that amount on suspension and just clean and lube chain as now.

Thanks for replying.

You're very welcome. Suspension upgrades will pay a lot more dividends than a chain conversion. Go forth and prosper.

Belts were all the rage when they first came out. Most people I know these days that run them want to convert back to chain, esp on the Harley side of the house. The loss of torque was the deal killer for me.

I like the low maintenance of a belt drive.
One adjustment on initial service and it is good for many miles.
Not sure I’d want a belt on a bike taken off-road, gravel can damage a belt.

I like the low maintenance of a belt drive.
One adjustment on initial service and it is good for many miles.
Not sure I’d want a belt on a bike taken off-road, gravel can damage a belt.
That's another of my concerns. You're not going to find new belts in many places so could be stuck for a long time when waiting on parts after a mishap. Chains can be found anywhere there's a bike shop.

Belts were all the rage when they first came out. Most people I know these days that run them want to convert back to chain, esp on the Harley side of the house. The loss of torque was the deal killer for me.
I haven't heard anything about loss of torque before. Is that because of the belts limit to keep from stripping the cogs (so self regulated) or some actual belt property (stretching maybe?). Combination of events? No matter since I have written them off anyway.

Chains deliver the most power to the rear, followed by belts and then shafts having the greatest loss of power.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom