Staff
Local time
Today, 11:13
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville
Riding Since
This isn't a road trip per se, but a trip nonetheless. Unfortunately, no motorcycles are involved.
My mother turned 95 last Monday and since I hadn't seen her in a few year's I felt it was time to show up and be part of the celebration. I debated with driving my car or flying, but opted for flying. 2 1/2 hours as opposed to 1 1/2 days on the road seemed to make the most sense. She lives with my widowed sister so it was a good time to visit other relatives too.

This is the CN tower which is 450 m (1,500+ feet) high. We went up that for the view and to walk on the "glass" floor.

This is the view looking down into the Rogers Center where the Toronto Blue Jays were going to play baseball with the Boston Red Sox that evening, and we had tickets to the game.

IMG_1749.JPG

IMG_1764.JPG

This is the "glass" floor with my foot in the pic.

IMG_1762.JPG

We left the tower and then went over to the ball field to locate our seats. Originally, the center was called The Skydome, but after the Rogers conglomerate took over it's now the Rogers Center. The Center has a domed roof that retracts in fine weather for the open air experience.

IMG_1773.JPG

This was the first time I had seen a major league baseball game since 1962! This was just before the game started. Once the Blue Jays began to score I was intent on the game and didn't take any still pics! Too much excitement I guess :y2:

IMG_1775.JPG

My nephew took me to a cruise-in in his 1970 Pontiac GTO and there were over 300 cars on hand - and they do this every fine Thursday night!
IMG_1790.JPG

IMG_1811.JPG

The next day we drove down to Hamilton where the Warplane Heritage Museum is located and I got to watch the mechanics working on our Lancaster that's going to fly over to England next week. Special attention was being paid to the engines.

IMG_1822.JPG

IMG_1823.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1830.JPG
    IMG_1830.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
A few more pics from the air museum.

IMG_1830.JPG

IMG_1842.JPG

IMG_1844.JPG

A 1950's military Triumph TRW.

IMG_1848.JPG

Brilliant pictures Rocky, I've been up the CN Tower way back in 1980, it sure was a fantastic view up there. I hope to get some photos of the Canadian Lancaster over here. This afternoon I kid you not, Pat and I were out walking the half rug, and this sound came over the trees. 1 Lancaster, 1 Spitfire & 1 Hurricane. I stood there with my mouth open, if I had had the camera that I used in Germany I would have got the Lancaster a treat. All 3 had been to an event not more 10 miles from us, and they were on there way back to RAF Coningsby

How cool is that to see all three in the air at the same time TUP TUP

Great photos Rocky.
The shot of your foot on glass floor made my boy bits retreat real close to my body, I don't do high places very well.
In the first shot of the Lancaster, is that a VC painted on the side?

Great photos Rocky.
The shot of your foot on glass floor made my boy bits retreat real close to my body, I don't do high places very well.
In the first shot of the Lancaster, is that a VC painted on the side?

Yes it is.
This is the Mynarski Lancaster.
Andrew Mynarski was a Canadian airman who risked his life (and lost) trying to free another airman from a burning Lancaster that was going down over Germany.
The other airman was trapped in the rear turret and couldn't get out. Mynarski tried to free him without success and had to jump leaving his friend behind.
By then his suit was on fire, and while he survived the jump, he died from his burns. He was awarded the VC for his heroic action.
In a twist of fate the Lancaster crashed on its belly throwing the rear turret off and the other airman survived.

BTW, I'm not afraid of heights, but stepping out on that glass section of the floor was a little scary at first!
They have a "skywalk" where you suit up and wear a harness for a walk around outside.
I decided not to do that :chicken:

Great pics, Rocky. Glad you had a good trip. Gotta love those old war birds.

Great pics, Rocky. Glad you had a good trip. Gotta love those old war birds.

The great thing about this museum is that it's a flying museum and most of the planes are serviced and ready to fly.
I'm a member and I can choose a flight for a fee if I want to be taken up for a 20 minute ride.
The fee is substantial for the plane I would want to go up in and, of course, you have to book well ahead as some planes might be away at air shows, etc.
This time I was happy to see them in all their glory.
It was a spur of the moment decision to drive down to Hamilton. It's less than an hour away from Toronto and I was surprised that my sister wanted to see the planes too since she had never been there.
I have a fairly good knowledge of the old planes so I was her personal tour guide and explained the details as we wandered around.
Not only is the museum about planes, it's also a memorial for all the Victoria Cross winners and those of heroic action and exceptional service in the air.
Canadian, Arthur Brown, shot down the Red Baron in WWI. His picture is on the Wall of Hero's and I explained about that and she found stuff like that quite interesting.
Heck, I even learned things I didn't know :y2:

I would love to visit that museum.

Canadian, Arthur Brown, shot down the Red Baron in WWI.

I'm not in any way interested in starting a debate on this subject, lets just say that isn't a universally excepted fact.
Many records credit the kill to an Australian machine gun crew. Long ago I read up on the subject and both the Canadian and Australian presentations are plausible.

Well the Australian presentation just a little more so. BIG WINK.

Last edited:
Years ago, in high school, the Aussie version was being taught.

Nice trip and pix Rocky. I was just up there two weeks ago myself and took in a Jays game. Will try to post up some pix of my own on another thread soon.

Years ago, in high school, the Aussie version was being taught.
As I said, there's no value in pushing one side or the other in this place but the machine gun presentation is regarded as correct in Australian records. Interesting that at least in the past the same was taught in the US, it certainly still is this side.

I think it would be great if all countries who participated made the same claim then we'd all feel good. :y15:

Very cool posting once again Rockstar Rocky! :)

Wow Rocky looks like you had a great time while you were there

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom