2020 Scrambler 1200 XC Fork Springs

Local time
Today, 15:48
First Name
Gary
My Ride
2014 Yamaha FJR1300, think about a XE
The fork springs on my Scrambler 1200 are too soft. I cannot adjust the forks to get the correct amount of sag. I need stiffer fork springs. I have searched the forums, and found nothing concerning where I could buy some stiffer springs. I contacted RaceTech and they don't know the specs of the forks, but if I provide them with the spring dimensions, they will work with me. Before I take apart the forks I wanted to check if anyone has been able to find stiffer springs for a 2020 Scrambler 1200 XC.

I put TEC progressive fork springs on a air/oil cooled 900 series Scrambler and that worked for me. EZ install on that bike. Jerry P.

Weak front springs seem to be a common issue . I have my Thruxton R front forks , Showa , set as hi as they go but they could definitely be stronger . The rear Ohlins have to be at the weakest adjustment and I’m a 200 pounder , 90 kg . Doesn’t make me think that Triumph was doing much final testing before the bike s release . Also rumours are that some of the new Tigers are a bit squishy on the front . I’m seriously thinking about putting valves in the fronts and adding some air ?

try what Brooke said, put valve caps on them but use a heavier fork oil, if not there are a number of companies that make a cartridge insert for those forks. Andreani, Ohlins as a cartidge with valve adj, Ohlins as a spring only
replacement ( $200) , Wilbers, all from 200ish bucks to 1500$ Or maybe you can find an XE front fork setup on ebay or something, remember you will need not only the forks but the entire set of clamps as well.

cheers

try what Brooke said, put valve caps on them but use a heavier fork oil, if not there are a number of companies that make a cartridge insert for those forks. Andreani, Ohlins as a cartidge with valve adj, Ohlins as a spring only
replacement ( $200) , Wilbers, all from 200ish bucks to 1500$ Or maybe you can find an XE front fork setup on ebay or something, remember you will need not only the forks but the entire set of clamps as well.

cheers
You seem to know a bit about this Rob . Have you ever heard of any one stretching the front springs ?

You seem to know a bit about this Rob . Have you ever heard of any one stretching the front springs ?
i have never heard of that, i dont know that it would work, once you stretch anything metal you weaken the structure forged within the spring and will likely return back to its originally formed shape with even less spring to it, unless they do a heat treatment to reintroduce the toughness back to the steel. i think you best option is to call Ohlins or Wilbers and talk to them about what you want to do and they will direct you to the proper spring replacement, valve cap and fork oil weight. They will ask you a bunch of questions in regards to your weight, preferences and maybe even your height/ inseam info. For the rear shocks, check tec bike parts, they have a couple spring options for the rear to help you too, they have one for heavier riders and one to lower the rear about an inch as well.

good luck, let us know how it goes.

I would write to the guys at TEC bike parts asking if they have anything in the works to address this. I know they have heavy springs for the rear shocks, I just ordered a set. You could also call Showa to see if they have stiffer springs. I’ll write TEC and ask the question, maybe if enough request are made they will develop stiffer fork springs for the XC.
The link below may be helpful.

https://www.other forum/threads/scrambler-1200-owners-what-should-i-know.955250/

i have never heard of that, i dont know that it would work, once you stretch anything metal you weaken the structure forged within the spring and will likely return back to its originally formed shape with even less spring to it, unless they do a heat treatment to reintroduce the toughness back to the steel.
Could very well be opposite, by stretching the steel to yielding, you work harden the steel making it stronger (higher yield strength) but becomes more brittle and exposed to fatigue. Try bending a paper clip and you see what happens, when bending back it will try to bend next to the first bend as first bend is work hardened. Keep bending and it will break soon as work hardened and is more brittle. Last sentence regarding heat treatment and thoughness may be correct though, in theory at least.

Also the stiffness of steel remains pretty much unchanged but so not sure you gain anything if goal is stiffer springs. Guess you could pretenison it more though so maybe in theory works, not expert in suspension so other must say.

But probably not a good idea stretching spring unless you really know what you're doing :sneaky:

Could very well be opposite, by stretching the steel to yielding, you work harden the steel making it stronger (higher yield strength) but becomes more brittle and exposed to fatigue. Try bending a paper clip and you see what happens, when bending back it will try to bend next to the first bend as first bend is work hardened. Keep bending and it will break soon as work hardened and is more brittle. Last sentence regarding heat treatment and thoughness may be correct though, in theory at least.

Also the stiffness of steel remains pretty much unchanged but so not sure you gain anything if goal is stiffer springs. Guess you could pretenison it more though so maybe in theory works, not expert in suspension so other must say.

But probably not a good idea stretching spring unless you really know what you're doing :sneaky:
Most of my spring lack of knowledge came from Snomobile racing in the seventies when the only spring selection you had was the spring the sled came with . You could lengthen a clutch drive spring with as little heat as possible and gain some preload and consequently a higher engagement RPM . As the spring was compressed at higher RPM the initial preload advantage was gradually lost . The year I raced the Can Am on the ice I ran about 40 lbs of air in the front and no springs at all . The rear set up had a good shock on one side and defective warranty shock that had leaked out all its oil on the other side . The rear springs were so light we had to duct tape the collars some how to keep the keys from falling out . A shorter swing arm off my buddies 175 and she never lost a race .

Reviving an old thread because I too have to find harder springs for my XC.
Has anyone found a source for springs in the UK or Europe? I don't want to go the whole hog of replacing the internals because the Showa cartridges do adjust and make a difference. And I can play with oil viscocities later if necessary.
I think the first thing I'm going to try is add oil into the legs to give an extra air assist when the forks compress. The book level is 114mm, so I think somewhere around 100mm should make a difference

Reviving an old thread because I too have to find harder springs for my XC.
Has anyone found a source for springs in the UK or Europe? I don't want to go the whole hog of replacing the internals because the Showa cartridges do adjust and make a difference. And I can play with oil viscocities later if necessary.
I think the first thing I'm going to try is add oil into the legs to give an extra air assist when the forks compress. The book level is 114mm, so I think somewhere around 100mm should make a difference
I’m starting to think I need a bit more beef springwise up front as well- quite a bit of dive. The TEC rear springs added what I was lacking in the rear. These bikes really weren’t set up for riders in the 215+ pound range who put some luggage on for getaways.

The fork springs on my Scrambler 1200 are too soft. I cannot adjust the forks to get the correct amount of sag. I need stiffer fork springs. I have searched the forums, and found nothing concerning where I could buy some stiffer springs. I contacted RaceTech and they don't know the specs of the forks, but if I provide them with the spring dimensions, they will work with me. Before I take apart the forks I wanted to check if anyone has been able to find stiffer springs for a 2020 Scrambler 1200 XC.

TEC performance usa worked great on my XC rear springs and exhaust.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom